Using Epilators

For general discussion about Seahorse and cross-dressing/trans issues. Also, any topics of general or topical interest may be posted here.
Forum rules
You can post almost any topic here that would not fit comfortably into any other forum.
Always maintain decorum in the forum! Use temperate, respectful language and please avoid put-downs or abusive comments.
Cyndi
Baroness
Baroness

Using Epilators

Postby Cyndi » November 16th, 2015, 12:09 pm

I know this topic was touched on in the old Forum, but I thought it worth a new mention here.

I have been using the Epilator for about a year now and do full legs, chest and hands (I was doing arms as well but
my wife drew the line at them) oh and also the nether regions :oops:
I was going at a modest clip and quickly got used to the little pulling pain and have grown to "enjoy" it knowing that hairs were coming out at the roots and would grow back weaker and thinner.
Anyhow, I have been getting a lot of ingrown hairs and hairs that happily just continue to grow under the skin along with some stubble. Nothing ever feels really smooth like I expected.
So I went to have a chat to the girls at one of those waxing and beauty salons, there one girl told me that although she had never used an Epilator herself she assumed it was like tweezering and if I went too fast I would snap and break the hairs, so slower the better.
My issue is then that one only has so much time in the day and to go as slowly as she suggested would take too long. I have a good Epilator being the Braun Silk-Epil 7 and the charge only lasts about 40 minutes and I need a recharge before I finish the job. Because this one can be used in water it does work better in the bath but I tend to only do this when away on business trips and my good lady wife's patience for all things girly only stretches so far with me.

So short story quite long, any other good tips other than just go really slow ? Also preparation and after care to avoid ingrown hairs would also be a blessing :)

Regards,
Cyndi
Dana
Granduchess
Granduchess

Re: Using Epilators

Postby Dana » November 16th, 2015, 8:27 pm

Hi Cyndi

Sounds similar to my use of an Epilator, i have the same type as you.

The thing that i find useful is to do it over two or three days, rather than trying to do it all at once. This way i can run over everything once and then recharge the epilator before having another run over the next day; and a third day on occasions.

Even then it is hard to get every little hair, so if i have something special on (like the Ball) i'll finish off by using a razor to get those stubborn hairs.

I always use an exfoliating mitt after i finish, which seems to help with in-grown hairs.

Dana
Christine Parker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Postby Christine Parker » November 17th, 2015, 6:55 am

I used an epilator very regularly in the first couple of years when I came out. I used it mainly on my limbs.

I had my chest lasered and then I waxed to remove any residual hair. Nowadays, I only have wax the hairs that grow around my nipples

I found the pain quite manageable with epilation of my legs and arms and it gets less as time goes by. I had a huge reduction in regrowth, such that I just do a quick touch up with a razor.

I agree with Dana, use the epilator in smaller areas first.

I have been fortunate enough not to get in-grown hairs.
Christine Parker
Seahorse Webmistress and Forum Administrator.
http://www.seahorsesoc.org/christine.html
Kate
Granduchess
Granduchess

Postby Kate » November 17th, 2015, 9:16 am

Make sure you are using some sort of skin exfoliator every time you shower (you know, one of those loofa / gloves). Do smaller areas over a few days like Dana suggested.

If that doesn't help. Wax!! I've tried epilators but I get a lot of snapping of the hairs rather than them pulling out. I still do it occasionally when I just can't be bothered / can't get in for a wax.
Christine Parker
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Postby Christine Parker » November 17th, 2015, 8:33 pm

I agree that waxing is the better way compared with epilation. Quicker, more complete, especialy for bigger areas and overall less pain (or at least you get the pain over and done with more quickly). Less likely to get in-grown hairs, too, I suspect.

:idea: I find that the pain gets less the long you do waxing or epilating. You desensitise to it and there are less hairs to remove the more times you do it.

I have permanently lost about 95% of my limb and chest hair.

On the topic of hair removal, as you get older, while you get less limb and body hair, instead you tend to get more nose and ear hairs. :(

:idea: Plucking is the best way to remove them. I use a pair of surgical clamps to remove them. You can get 4-5 hairs out at a time with this instrument. Very efficient! :D

clamps.jpg
clamps.jpg (4.38 KiB) Viewed 2238 times

Attention is detail is so important:
http://www.seahorsesoc.org/resources/articles/devilisinthedetails.html
Christine Parker
Seahorse Webmistress and Forum Administrator.
http://www.seahorsesoc.org/christine.html
Dianne
Duchess
Duchess

Postby Dianne » November 17th, 2015, 10:21 pm

I have had no experience with epilators but had full waxes and the lady that does me uses tea tree oil and baby oil and I haven't had any ingrown hairs when I used to shave they were bad. That's one of the few good things with age you go grey and hair is not as noticeable. I'll have to find somebody who works in a hospital to get some forceps
tarawb
Queen
Queen

Postby tarawb » December 2nd, 2015, 8:13 pm

I have an epilator, have not had too many problems with ingrown hair, mind you Lisa tells me I am doing that wrong and I should be using an exfoliating glove, which I now have. Mind you most of problems with in-grown hair was in the area I waxed.

Have to agree with previous comments, I started on a small area and gradually increased that. Would be nice if I had an easier way to deal with my back.
lauren
Princess
Princess

Postby lauren » December 11th, 2015, 12:49 pm

im going to purchase an epilator this weekend could someone give me some feedback on brands to avoid ,like how much do you spend ,whats the difference between a cheapie and an exspensive epilator,how much should one spend...look forward to hearing from you...
Dana
Granduchess
Granduchess

Postby Dana » December 11th, 2015, 6:24 pm

I'm happy with my Braun, but i haven't tried a cheaper one so can't comment on the difference. A rechargable cordless one is certainly more convenient to use.
lauren
Princess
Princess

Postby lauren » December 11th, 2015, 9:12 pm

thanks dana

Return to “General Forum”