The Right Equipment
Here are some pointers about using the right equipment, and the optimum conditions to apply makeup.
Purchasing a good quality set of makeup brushes is essential. Some experts say the good brushes are more important than good make-up products.
The basic brushes, from left to right in their order of use, will include all or most of these:
- Foundation brush, to give an even, smooth application of liquid foundation.
- Concealer brush is a smaller brush for covering problem areas.
- Face powder brush is the biggest brush to cover larger areas of the face.
- Contouring brush for applying and blending bronzer and blusher.
- Blending brush for blending eyeshadow.
- Eyeshadow brush for applying eye shadow.
- Small angled brush for detailed work, such as eyeliner and eyebrows.
- Lipstick brush for more precise application of lipstick.
A good sized makeup mirror is an absolute must. It should have two mirrored sides; one that is magnified for detailed work, such as around the eyes and the lips, and one that is not magnified for applying foundation, and other less-detailed work.
I do not believe that there is great advantage having a mirror with a built-in light.
The Right Conditions
- A well-lit, comfortable position makes applying makeup much easier.
- Natural light is much better than artificial light.
- Applying makeup is best done in a seated position with your elbows resting on a bench or table.
- Allow yourself plenty of time to do your make-up. Rushing it leads to mistakes.
- Applying makeup in a car at night in the rear-view mirror is definitely not recommended.
Back   Home   Next